My family grew up on Manwich, and I enjoyed it. When I got married I made Manwich for my husband, and he told me I was not allowed to call Manwich "Sloppy Joes". Needless to say I was a little confused. This was the first recipe I ever asked my Mother-in-law for... My husband was SO right!! Manwich is good, but it's NOT Sloppy Joes! I usually have to make a 3X version of this recipe to feed us because everyone always asks for seconds.
1lb of Ground Beef
1 12oz jar of Chili Sauce (We prefer Heinz)
1T White Vinegar
Sliced American Cheese (Optional)
2. Stir in chili sauce, sugar and vinegar.
3.Bring to a simmer on medium heat; let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Serve hot with cheese!
A few variation I've found that we like include:
- Replace the beef with chicken, turkey or a mix of 2 meats.
- Add chopped onion as you're browning the meat.
- Try a different kind of cheese.
- Eat it with a fork as an open faced sandwich.
Like this idea? Pin it!!